Medical spas and other related facilities have taken the forehand in critically dealing with women’s health. Women’s health has begun taking greater precedence in the medical industry. This is because of the heightened awareness of women’s health and its effect on forming the family structure. Dr. Tamika K. Cross is a well-known obstetrician-gynecologist specializing in women’s health care. More about what an obstetrician-gynecologist does is discussed below.
Who is an Obstetrician-Gynecologist?
This is a healthcare professional specializing in female reproductive health involving obstetrics and gynecology.
Obstetrics works with pregnant women, including delivering babies.
Gynecology is about the female reproductive system by diagnosing and treating various conditions, including chronic pain and sexually transmitted infections.
OB-GYNs have specific and broad training in gynecology and obstetrics. Therefore, providing a wide range of preventive care services, including STI testing, pap smears, ultrasounds, pelvic exams, and blood work.
An OB-GYN can answer any questions concerning sex, pregnancy, infertility, or reproductive health. An annual visit to your OB-GYN is recommended.
They can perform various procedures as they are trained surgeons, including:
· Instrumental deliveries during childbirth
· Cesarean sections
· Getting rid of growths such as uterine fibroids and ovarian cysts
· Surgery aimed at repairing pelvic organ injuries
Other routine in-office procedures that an OB-GYN can perform are:
· STI tests
· Pap smears to test cervical cancer
· Pelvic ultrasounds to monitor pregnancy and check on the pelvic organs
· Fertility treatments like egg retrievals for egg-freezing or IVF
· Management of urinary problems like urinary incontinence and urinary tract infections
· Counseling and infertility treatments
· Treating typical problems like anemia
· Breast health management and exams, including mammograms and other breast cancer screenings
Other issues OB-GYNs can address include:
· Prescription filling for typical ailments
· Screening for mental health issues
· Patient referrals to specialists
· Performing bloodwork for common ailments
OB-GYNs can choose to specialize in various sectors of this vast field. Some specialties may require additional expertise, training, and accreditation. Some of these specialties include:
Infertility specialists diagnose infertility issues and develop treatment plans like in vitro fertilization procedures.
Maternal-fetal medicine specialists
These physicians treat high-risk pregnancies with specialties in healthcare for the baby and mother. They oversee high-risk or complicated pregnancies like vaginal baby delivery in the breech position.
Female pelvic specialists
Reconstructive surgeons and female pelvic medicine specialists focus on the pelvic floor’s injuries and disorders and nearby structures. They may treat incontinence, perform surgery to repair prolapsed pelvic organs, or provide pelvic floor physical therapy.
Oncologists are medical professionals that specialize in cancer treatment; thus, gynecologic oncologists treat reproductive organ cancers such as cervical and ovarian.
You are recommended to visit your OB-GYN if you suspect you are pregnant or you have reproductive issues such as:
· Suspected pregnancy or miscarriage
· STD testing
· Pain during sex
· Pregnancy complications
· Suspected infertility
· Pain or other symptoms when urinating
· Inquiries on reproductive or sexual health
The increased number of women’s health centers that provide personalized and cautious care to women’s issues has greatly benefitted women’s health. If you are searching for a qualified OB-GYN, check us out online or call our offices in Pearland, TX.